Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Interpreter of Maladies

I heard about this book about five years ago or so when I saw the author, Jhumpa Lahiri, interviewed on BookTV (just when we thought I could not be a bigger nerd). The interviewer was carrying on about how she'd won the Pulitzer Prize for her first book and a very young age (32). This book, a collection of short stories, is probably the best book I read in all of 2006 and when I picked it up to write this blog entry I was sucked into the first story, "A Temporary Matter", all over again. Lahiri is brilliant at showing life in America filtered through a Indian cultural lens. I hope to read her novel, The Namesake, soon and then see the movie.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I loved The Namesake and the movie just came here and I can't wait to see it! Directed my Mira Nair, too, whose movies I really like.