Saturday, May 12, 2007

Baby Sister

I don't know if this technically qualifies as a "bad book", but I do think it's on the trashy side of Young Adult novels. And I loved it. hmmm. The book is written from the perspective of Penny, the younger sister who is completely overshadowed by Cass, two years older, brilliant, beautiful and as told from Penny's perspective, completely self involved. Penny feels inferior and is basically living through her sister, when she realized she has a gift for sewing. She eventually follows this love into a career, which Cass, who is in college and planning for law school, predictably sneers at. And then Penny starts seeing Cass' much put upon old boyfriend... I have no idea why this book spoke to me so strongly, when looking back, I am more of a Cass than a Penny. The book is unusual in a lot of ways, including an ending that is less than cookie cutter, and some interesting questions to mull about the two sisters and who is ultimately right (either, both, neither?).

No comments: