Wednesday, June 6, 2007

It's A Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths about Life in Your Twenties

I've been dipping in and out of this collection for awhile. I picked it up because I have read and enjoyed some of the authors in it (Hollis Gillespie, Megan McAfferty, Beth Lisick). I haven't finished it yet but one of the pieces I read last night was from a woman who, in her twenties, worked in residence life. A lot of the situations brought back painful memories of roommate conflicts, people knocking on your door at any and all times of the day, plumbing emergencies, and most of all, the feeling of being trapped that comes from living and working in the same space, where your time is never, ever your own. It was hard but I did get a lot out of it. Unfortunately, my experience differed from the author's in one important way--she did it for the very cool apartments she got to live in for free. We're talking penthouse Manhattan apartments with breathtaking views. My residence life apartment had a great view, too--that of the storage room complete with arts and crafts supplies and a RA's life-size sculpture of a cow peeking at me into my bedroom window. Despite this discrepancy, I have enjoyed and could mostly relate to many of the pieces in here about the particular angst that comes from the situations that arise in your twenties--making new friends and relationships and career doubts and money woes. I just wish mine had come with a much cooler apartment.

No comments: