Saturday, June 9, 2007

Emma

If you haven't read Emma yet, I'm jealous, because the first time I read this book was such a treat for me. Unlike Jane Austen's best known book, Pride and Prejudice, the heroine of Emma is not entirely sympathetic. She's bit of a snob, she's a terrible meddler, she can't accurately "read" the people around her. But despite all of this, Emma is quite impressed with herself. Kind of like a real person. Kind of like me in fact (cough). And even though she's far from perfect, Emma triumphs in the end. Despite all of this, or maybe because of it, I loved this book more than P&P upon first reading. And I am sure everyone knows, this book was the inspiration for the movie Clueless. (PS just ignore my husband if he tries to tell you this book is boring- He's wrong!)

No comments: